Social Studies - Chapter 5: Community Environments
Vocabulary Quiz on 2/14/17
1. region – is a large land area that has special features.
2. physical environment – a region’s landforms and climate.
3. climate – is the kind of weather a place has from year to year.
4. landform - is a shape or part on the Earth’s surface, such as a mountain or a plain.
5. ecosystem – the physical environment and the living things in it.
6. adapt – to change the way you do something.
7. adobe – a mixture of earth, straw, and water that is formed into bricks and dried.
8. natural resources – useful materials that come from the earth.
9. mineral – a natural resource that has never been alive.
10. fuel – a resource that can be used to produce light, heat, or other forms of energy.
11. Gold Rush - in 1849 more than 80,000 people had rushed to California to look for gold.
12. conserve - to use resources carefully.
13. recycle – to use something again.